laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

YOUNG AT HEART

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Marcus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 7:24 pm    Post subject: YOUNG AT HEART Reply with quote

I recentlly purchased Universal's so-called "50th Anniversary" DVD of "Young At Heart" starring Doris Day and Frank Sinatra. I had previously purchased Universal's earlier "vanilla" version - but I felt it would be nice to add this new SPECIAL edition to my collection. So I happily shelled out £17.99. Now comes the crunch.

I had expected this to be a Laureate Presentation like "Holiday Inn" or the "Fred and Ginger" box set - full of fascinating details and insights into the production. WRONG ! This has been put together by people who don't know what the hell they're doing. They know nothing about the picture and care even less about the needs of the DVD collector.

I should have known something was wrong when I read on the cover that the film has " a superb score by George and Ira Gershwin." In fact, the "score" ( as they call it ) is drawn from various sources and several different writers and lyricists. The Gershwins' contribution is limited to just one song "Someone To Watch Over Me." How did Universal come to hire such inept people ?

But remembering that the excellent "Fred and Ginger" box set had some terrible errors on the box - BUT fabulous contents on the discs, I proceeded to take a chance - and what did I find ?

(A) The menus are pretty - but bland and pointless.

(B) The moving chapters are badly arranged - they have no names and none of the songs are individually accessable.

(C) The stills gallery is mundane and, again, completely pointless.

(D) There are no biographies and no production notes. In fact, no information at all. Not even a mention that this is a "50th Anniversary" edition as indicated by the front cover. So, again, the whole exercise is pointless.

Is there anything good to be sais about this new DVD ?

Yes. The film itself has been digitally remastered. This is a distinct improvement over the previous DVD. Oh, and the theatrical trailer is included ( but that's nothing new ).

If you want a good DVD rendering of the film and NOTHING ELSE then this is for you. But at £17.99 you might expect, as I did, something more.

What a shame that such a company as Universal can't engage someone
better qualified than the nameless,faceless twits who produced this very disappointing DVD.
Carl Trevver

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: YOUNG AT HEART Reply with quote

I can only agree with Steve Marcus on the Universal "Young At Heart"
The film is well restored and looks very good, but the DVD production is hopelessly bland and offers nothing new for its price of £17.99.

Whoever was responsible for this trite presentation should look for another job. It's pathetic.
Mark Fox

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper from play.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Sinatra and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: