laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Three Little Words and Ziegfeld Follies on DVD soon
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachel C

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:02 pm    Post subject: Dancing Lady Reply with quote

I read on an American site that there is a planned release of Dancing Lady as part of a Clark Gable boxset.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa114.html#warcat

It didn't give a release date, but it's good to know that it is in the pipeline.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:00 pm    Post subject: Dancing Lady Reply with quote

Thanks Rachel for pointing this out. Since Fred's appearance in this film
( his screen debut ) is relatively brief, it would make more sense as part of a Gable box set. But, for the avid Astaire collectors, this is good news.
Little by little all of Fred's films are becoming available.
Rego

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Ziegfeld Follies Reply with quote

The latest offering from Warners is due to be released in the states on
25th April 2006 and includes Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory (Ziegfeld Follies / Till the Clouds Roll By / Three Little Words / Summer Stock / It's Always Fair Weather) (1946)
I know this set includes the usual warner extras, which are excellent.
But I am always disapointed by the lack of background information on the film, that was so beautifully done by Ken and Ava on the original Astaire Laureate discs
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: DVD extras Reply with quote

Dear Rego,

On behalf of Ava and myself, thanks for the support. Happily, we recently did our thing on Fox's recent Region 1 DVD of "Daddy Long Legs" If you haven't managed to catch this, I understand it will be issued in the UK around July.

Ken
Rego

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would just like to say how good it is to see, Daddy Long Legs as it should be seen in the correct aspect ratio, and to congratulate Fox on the excelent job they have achieved. Of course the thing that always makes the Astaire fims extra special for me, is the wonderful comentry and insights provided by Ken & Ava.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: DADDY LONG LEGS Reply with quote

On behalf of Fox, Ava and myself, I thank you.

Ken
Rego

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My immediate reaction to Universals attitude in recent years is, what a missed opportunity !
The sheer delight on the faces of my teenage nieces and nephews, as they watched Top Hat, Follow the Fleet, Shall We Dance, Carefree, Royal Wedding etc and the questions they were asking about when the films were made, how they were made. Etc etc. How grateful I was to have the wonderful commentary and insights provided by both Ken and Ava to be able to answer their questions.
Whilst I fully realise, in theory, universal only have the rights of these pictures in the UK. In practice, I'm sure there are many people around the world that have purchased these DVDs, and indeed when volume 2 became available, thought they were going to get the same wonderful quality. Sadly, this was not to be.
There is a whole up-and-coming generation that has a real thirst for dance and is certainly fascinated by the spectacular dance sequences of the Hollywood musicals.
At a time when dance has never been more popular with programs such as Strictly Come Dancing, Strictly Dance Fever, regularly topping the viewing ratings on television. It just goes to show how shortsighted this company really is. They probably have no idea of the wealth of films and magnificent inheritance is at their disposal.
Fortunately, it would appear that both Warners and Fox are far more visionary in their outlook and hopefully we can look forward to the many wonderful films that are in their catalogues that are yet to be released on DVD.
And yes, Ken, I will be waiting until the Warner release, volume 2 of the Fred and Ginger collection, because I certainly won't be buying an inferior Universal set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: