laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (1956): Why is... ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Christoph Nestel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 6:34 pm    Post subject: AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (1956): Why is... ??? Reply with quote

Although I'm very happy about the classic Jules Verne masterpiece finally finding its way to the DVD unedited and restored, otherwise I'm also sad and angry about Warners Special Edition. Why ? The answer is my question:

Why is the most interesting, most valuable and most sought-after ATWI80D footage not being included within the special features of the DVD ???

The footage I refer to basically is the alternate prologue in the airliner with lots of cameos and the musical numbers by Eddie Fisher which were deleted just closely before the picture's release. I've always been most keen on seeing just this footage and now the best possibility for making these gems widely available has passed wasting the chance .

All this footage survives and is held by the Library of Congress today. The following article indicates that there may be much more priceless historic behind the scenes material of the movie which is also absent from the DVD:

http://jv.gilead.org.il/taves/lcib/80days.html

Why heavens has this outstanding material not been restored and included for the DVD ???

Does anybody know ? How does it explain that such valuable material is neglected and not preserved for public viewing ? Will there will be any chance to see this scenes on any other edition in future ?

Best, Christoph Sad
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Around The World -incomplete Reply with quote

Hi Christoph,

Once again, you've come up with a most interesting subject. The missing footage from "Around The World in 80 Days." In these enlightend times of DVD Special Editions, it really is puzzling that Warner Brothers ( the best of the majors for DVD Classic presentations ) should have missed out on this intriguing never-before-seen material.

Why should this be ? I can only conclude that that the people putting the DVD together were unaware of its existence. My advice is to write to Warner Brothers - not in the UK but in Burbank,California - and ask them.

Perhaps, though, this is something that Criterion should do in a Extra-Special Edition. With this missing material, it could become as essential as their definitive "Spartacus."

Thanks
Ken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are right guys! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: