laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Swashbucklers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim Waterson

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Scaramouche Reply with quote

I recently splashed out and bought the Warner Region 1 DVD of "Scaramouche" (1952). It's a terrific swashbuckler with a witty script and knockout swordplay from Stewart Granger and Mel Ferrer. The interview with Ferrer is very interesting and uses some footage from the 1923 silent version. Is there any chance of Warner's releasing this version as they did recently the 1925 silent "Ben Hur" ? I'd certainly be interested in buying it.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:41 pm    Post subject: SCARAMOUCHE Reply with quote

Dear Jim Waterson,

I must agree that the Warner Region 1 DVD of "Scaramouche" is a knockout and is right up there with the best of Errol Flynn and all the other great swashbucklers. I spent some time three years ago with the film's director, George Sidney and he said it was one of the films that he most enjoyed making. He also directed the 1948 Gene Kelly-Lana Turner version of "The Three Musketeers" which, to my mind, is easily the finest screen rendering of the much-filmed Dumas tale. Gene Kelly may seem like an odd choice to play D'Artagnan but he plays it to the hilt in a style very reminsscent of the Fairbanks silent version - and it comes off beautifully. Sidney's directing style is the same as "Scaramouche" and it's the MGM machine at its most eye-catching in both cases. In fact, it would be nice to have the 1948 "Musketeers" on DVD. Here's hoping.

As for that clip from the 1923 "Scaramouche," I agree this is certainly mouthwatering and I would also love to see it on DVD. Let's keep our fingers crossed.
J.D.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Granger is great in Scaramouche Reply with quote

I must add my support for Warner's DVD of "Scaramouche" (1952).
This is one of the most polished, most elegant and most satisfying of all swashbuckling films. Stewart Granger's performance shows just how good an actor he was as he runs the gamut from comedy to romance to tragedy and back again. His credentials as a swashbuckler are the equal of Errol Flynn and the final swordfight is one of the great moments in cinema. If it doesn't quite reach the heights of "The Adventures of Robin Hood," it's close. I can't praise this film too highly. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention Victor Young's rousing musical score. The title music alone is worth the price of the DVD. Buy,buy,buy.
Barry Donohue

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: The Black Swan Reply with quote

It's good to find a website that really caters for collectors of classic movies on DVD. This Swashbucklers forum is fascinating. Now that we have most of the great Errol Flynn swashbucklers on DVD as well as the wonderful Stewart Granger version of "Scaramouche"(1952) and the definitive "Mark of Zorro" (1940), isn't it time we had "The Black Swan" ?(1942) With its glowing Oscar-winning technicolor photography, it is one of the greatest pirate films ever. It easily eclipses the overrated "Pirates of the Caribbean."
M. Woodley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Scaramouche and Zenda Reply with quote

I just got "Scaramouche" on DVD. I hadn't seen it for years and was pleased to find that it's far better than I remember. Now what about a DVD of "Prisoner of Zenda"? I'm told that the 1937 version starring Ronald Colman is the best - but I still have a strong affection for Stewart Granger's 1952 remake.

I would also welcome a DVD of Errol Flynn's "Adventures of Don Juan" (1948).
G. Middleton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Flynn's "Don Juan" Reply with quote

Fully agree with M. Woodley about Warner's DVD of "Scaramouche." It's one of the greats and it's nice to have that interview with Mel Ferrer recalling his experiences on making the film.

I should also mention that Errol Flynn's Adventures of Don Juan" (1948)
is available on DVD in Korea ( of all places ) and can be obtained on
www.Amazon.com at a reasonable price.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Swashbucklers All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: