laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roberta 1935

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rego

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Roberta 1935 Reply with quote

Does anyone know if Roberta 1935 will be released on dvd in the near future
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: ROBERTA Reply with quote

Just to let you know that I had lunch a couple of weeks ago in Los Angeles with George Feltenstein of Warners and he told me that the second box set of Fred and Ginger will be rleased in August of next year, exactly one year after the first set. It will, of course, include the DVD debut of "Roberta."
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:17 am    Post subject: Warner's Astaire-Rogers set Reply with quote

Because it contained "Swing Time," I ordered the new Warner's Fred and Ginger set and - guess what ? - I couldn't play it. The sign came up on my screen "Cannot be played. " I've tried it on two other players with the same result. Has anyone else encountered this problem ?
Rego

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a multi region player, as the Swing Time DVD from the states is region 1
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:49 pm    Post subject: Fred & Ginger - Region 1 Reply with quote

Thanks Rego for pointing this out. Yes, I do have a multi-region player and it has worked fine on other Region 1 discs. I just wondered if anyone else in the UK with a multi-region player has encountered a problem with this set.
Rego

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not yet received my copy, But when I do I will let you know.
However I have heard that some new dvd's from the states have a new form of region 1 codeing which some older multi region machines will not play
siriami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this box set from the US recently, and it plays fine on my Sony multi-region adapted player - I do hope that the studios are not putting a new type of region protection onto DVDs.
As far as I am concerned, it's region 1 all the way - too many UK region 2 releases of region 1 DVDs have extras omitted from them.

Looking forward to "Daddy Longlegs", Ken!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Fred and Ginger on Region 1 Reply with quote

Thanks, Siriami, for pointing out that your Region 1 set of Fred and Ginger plays OK on your multi-region player. As far as I know, Warners have not introduced any region protection device on this set. But they have, from time to time, done it on newer titles.

As far as I know, Fox will be releasing "Daddy Long Legs" in the spring of next year - around February or March. As soon as I hear, I'll post it on the site.
siriami

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ken - good news about "Daddy Long Legs"
Regards from Scotland

Alistair
Steve Marcus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Fred and Ginger - Warner style Reply with quote

I obtained the new Warner Region 1 set of Fred and Ginger and had no trouble playing it on my Pioneer multi-region player.

While it's a good set with plenty of extras, I don't think it is as well produced or as well packaged as the Region 2 set produced by Laureate for Universal. But, of course, ultimately it will be comprehensive in presenting all ten of the Astaire-Rogers musicals. But I still treasure the Laureate/Universal set because of the well-filmed introductions from Fred's daughter,Ava. Is there any chance that Universal will commission Laureate to do a second set ?
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How appalling - I can't see Universal having done nearly so good a job as Laureate did on the first box. Though I'll reserve my final judgement!

I've just ordered the Warners version - hope I don't have JP's problems! I really do want to see Swing Time in a decent DVD.

Dominic
G.B.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:48 am    Post subject: Fred & Ginger Reply with quote

Just to put your mind at rest,Dominic, I bought the Region 1 Fred & Ginger and it plays fine on my Pioneer Multi region player. Two of my friends also bought it and have no complaints. The extras are pretty good and it's certainly worth buying. But it has not been put togetyher with the care and know-how of Ken Barnes.

As far as I know, Universal did not call on Ken to produce the second volume of Fred and Ginger and it will not include any more of those excellent introductions by Ava. I don't know what went wrong between Universal and Ken - but we film collectors are much less catered for as a result.

How about it, Ken ?
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks GB!

The less said about Universal the better - they can't even spell Astaire!

On a completely different matter, Ken - at the time, was it known that Hermes Pan did Ginger's taps on the soundtracks or not? My homework for Wednesday is to find as many sources for finding out info on a musicals topic, and I've chosen F and G!

Dominic
Rego

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fred and Ginger on Region 1 Reply with quote

RE;[quote="Ken Barnes"] As far as I know, Warners have not introduced any region protection device on this set. But they have, from time to time, done it on newer titles.

I received my copy of Swing time on Friday it plays fine on my Pioneer But the DVD package does say it has the new dvdcrpp I think this is what can cause problems with some of the older multi region machines
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject: Astaire-Rogers US box set-Region Protection Reply with quote

Thanks Rego for pointing this out. In the case of Jim Patterson and other buyers who found it difficult to play this new Region 1 set, the answer would seem to be to update the player.

I must say, though, that Warner's introducing region protection on old or classic titles is a new and unusual move. The two-disc version of "The Adventures of Robin Hood" appears to be region-free. This is a title that they own worldwide whereas their rights to the RKO catalogue do not extend beyond North America. Go figure !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: