laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Citizen Kane

View previous topic :: View next topic  
T. Mallard

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 12:59 pm    Post subject: Citizen Kane Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

I'm absolutely enthralled by the newly restored
"Citizen Kane." It not only compares favourably with the Region 1 Warner version, it is a warmer and more dedicated
production.

Keep up the good work
Thanks
Tom Mallard
Keith Elliott

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Citizen Kane - Very Special Reply with quote

I've just bought and watched the new Citizen Kane Special Edition DVD and I can only echo the words of T. Mallard, this is a much warmer edition than the region one version.

While the US version has clearly had a lot more money spent on it ( including a fine 2-hour bought-in TV documentary "The Battle over Citizen Kane" ) and it has two audio commentaries ( Peter Bogdanovich and Roger Ebert ), I feel more comfortable with this new UK production.

Why? Because it has a more filmic look. The US version seems over-restored to such an extent that you can hardly see the rain. No problem with the UK rendering.

Because the Ken Barnes audio commentary takes a different route to the two US commentaries and manages to unearth several historical points that I'd never known before ( and I've read seven books on "Kane"). He may not be as emotional as Ebert but he is just as persuasive and he is certainly more listenable than Bogdanovich ( whose drowsy delivery makes heavy-going for two hours ).

Because the beautifully-designed moving menus and chapters are far more interesting visually than the US menus. And the choice of music beds is more rewarding to the ear. In addition to all this, the commands are much easier to operate.

It is, in fact, a very special edition. I've already recommended it to my friends. It may well be the best DVD presentation of a classic movie ever produced outside of the USA.

Please let's have more like this.

K.E.
Jane Chatham

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Citizen Kane Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes
Congratulations. Your new DVD of Citizen Kane is an
outstanding representation of one of the greatest films of all time. The film itself has never looked better and the DVD design and menus are among the best I've ever seen.

Your audio commentary is wonderful. Not just informative but
highly entertaining.

I look forward eagerly to your next DVD - whatever it is.

Well done

Jane Chatham
G. Bell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: A very able Kane Reply with quote

Just bought your Special Edition of Citizen Kane.

I've always loved the film and this presentation is a very able effort on everyone's part.

Great film, great quality and great extras. Keep up the good work

Gordon Bell
Les Watson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: A Vote for Kane Reply with quote

Is Citizen Kane the greatest film ever made? If it isn't then what is ? The new Universal-Laureate Special Edition is certainly one of the best DVDs produced in the UK.

Both as a film and as a DVD, Citizen Kane has my vote as
essential to any list of the top five of all time. I won't list the other four for fear of adding controversy to conjecture.

An indispensible DVD of an irreplaceable film. The genius
of Orson Welles deserves no less.

My congratulations to all concerned

L.W.
A. Jameson

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: The year's best DVD Reply with quote

Bravo Universal & Laureate. The new Citizen Kane Special Edition is easily the best DVD I have bought this year.

The film,of course, is an all-time classic and this DVD is an all-time treasure.

Keep the classics coming.

Annette Jameson ( age 18 )
D. Perrett

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: Viva Kane Reply with quote

I can only echo the praise for the Citizen Kane Special Edition DVD expressed not just on your website's message board but in the media generally. This is a DVD to treasure. Viva Kane!!!
Andrew Cronin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject: Citizen Kane Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

I have been considering for some time adding "Citizen Kane" to my DVD collection simply because it's an essential item. My problem was which version to buy. I consulted a friend of mine who is an Orson Welles expert
- he has all of the versions of C.K. that have been issued on VHS, laser and DVD. His immediate answer was " Get the Laureate version. It not only offers the best picture and sound quality, it also has the most focussed audio commentary and best extras of any release available in the world."

With that kind of recommendation, I bought it without hesitation and I'm glad I did. It is,without question, the best DVD in my entire collection.

Thank you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Praise All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: