laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why do Columbia SO not care about some things????!!!!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2004 3:11 pm    Post subject: Columbia cock-ups Reply with quote

I agree, Mark, that Columbia - and numerous other major labels - are prone to making big mistakes when it comes to releasing classic titles on DVD.

I don't know who hires these people. It sounds rather like the blind leading the blind. Perhaps one of these days, they'll wake up to the fact that releasing classic films on DVD is something to be taken seriously.

Still, there's a lot of fine material out there to be thankful for and more on the way.
c.th.dreyer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just wanted to open a Columbia-Thread myself.

They treat their classics worse and worse every year.
I don't know if that's because they were sold to Sony.
But it's a real shame to release Capra's PLATINUM BLONDE without any extra material in Germany.
I remember their first Capra-DVD had a CAPRA COLLECTION artwork.
Seems they had great plans for their Capra film stock.

Hey, Columbia, if you don't care anymore, give your films to Ken.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject: Columbia and Capra Reply with quote

The problem with labels like Columbia ( and this applies to many of the majors ) is that they're more concerned with their new product rather than the classics. They spend millions on the production of each new film and alkmost as much again in promotion. Most of these films die at the box office - but the ones that make it pay for the flops. Nevertheless, they must take advantage of all the publicity and transfer everything quickly to DVD. That's their main focus.

To come back to the classics. Columbia have turned out pretty good DVDs of Capra's "It Happened One Night," "Lost Horizon" and "Mr. Smith Goes To Washington." Also the Howard Kawks classic "His Girl Friday."
While none of these are as good as the Warner 2-disc editions, at least it's something to be grateful for.

Would I like to handle the Columbia-Capra's ? You bet I would. But it's unlikely that they would be interested - unless I were to come up with a whopping great payment and an impossible minimum guarantee. This has been the case with most small labels and production companies who have approached them.

There are more classic film buffs out there than they realise. But all they are interested in are volume and turnover. Warners are the big exception. Their DVD classics library is run by people who care passionately about movies. Consequently, they are the now the world leaders in DVD on ALL levels. Long may they continue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Odds and Sods All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: