laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Midnight and more

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rachel C

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Midnight and more Reply with quote

I would love to see Midnight, starring Don Ameche and Claudette Colbert released on dvd. It's such a fantastic film but it's so hard to obtain. I think it's up there with It Happened One Night.

I'd also love to see Two Weeks With Love on dvd, another sadly over looked film.

Does anyone know if Kiss Me Kate or MGM's Show Boat are going to be released on R2 DVD any time soon? And don't even get me started on Fred Astaire!!!
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 5:49 pm    Post subject: Midnight and other goodies Reply with quote

Dear Rachel C,

I'll mention " Midnight" to the people at Fox and we'll see what happens.

"Two Weeks with Love" is a nice musical and, with the recent success in the USA of the "THat's Entertainment Trilogy" box set and Warner's subsequent outpouring of classic musicals, who knows ? It may happen in time.

"Kiss Me Kate," - which was the late Howard Keel's favourite role - is currently available in the U.S. on a very fine DVD - either singly or as part of an excellent Cole Porter box set. I don't know when it will be issued over here.

As for Fred Astaire, 2005 is going to be a great year. Issued next month in the U.S. on Warner Brothers are "Easter Parade," "The Band Wagon,"
and "Finian's Rainbow." This will be followed later in the year by a Fred and Ginger box set - which will include "The Barkelys of Broadway."

Finally, keep watching our News Section for a Special announcement of a new Laureate project concerning Mr. A.

Thanks for contacting us. Please keep in touch.

Ken
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: FRED ASTAIRE - REGION FREE Reply with quote

Thanks Mark for pointing this out for the benefit of Rachel C. and anyone else who may be interested. Good to know that U.K. releases are coming of the three NEW Astaire DVDs.
Rachel C

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Great news Reply with quote

Thanks Ken, that would be wonderful if you could mention Midnight!

That's fantastic about the Fred Astaire films - do you know what else will be included in the forthcoming box set?

While I'm here, does anyone know why Otto Preminger's Porgy and Bess has never been released on dvd/vhs? (correct me if I'm wrong) I'd love to see it and by all accounts it's an amazing film.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Astaire and Porgy and Bess Reply with quote

Hi Rachel,

The forthcoming Warners box set- titled "Broadway To Hollywood" contains three Fred Astaire films in Special Editions EASTER PARADE(1948), THE BAND WAGON (1953) and FINIAN'S RAINBOW (1968)
The remaining films in the set are BRIGADOON(1954) AND bells are ringing (1959)

All will be available individually - and the three Astaire films will be issued in the U.K. in May.

As for Otto Preminger's film of PORGY AND BESS (1959), I've heard rumours that this is being withheld from distribution because it is deemed by certain parties to be "politically incorrect." Isn't that typical of today's "do-gooders." ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: