laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bing Crosby the man

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joan Benson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 11:47 am    Post subject: Bing Crosby the man Reply with quote

Dear Ken Barnes,

I'm 17 years old and a newcomer to the world of Bing Criosby. I bought your DVD of Holiday Inn because I'm a big fan of Fred Astaire. But this film introduced me to Bing and I realised what a fine singer and actor he was. I've since bought High Society and the Road To collection as well as your 3-CD album set The Complete United Artists Ciollection.

What was Bing Crosby really like as a man?
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Bing Crosby the man Reply with quote

Hi Joan,

Welcome to the new style Laureate website. What was Bing Crosby like as a man ? Well, I've read many different accounts of what sort of person he was. In the main, these accounts were written by people who had never met him. Some say he was very different from the easy-going image that he portrayed on screen. Some described him as cold,distant and aloof. His eldest son, Gary portrayed him as an abusive parent, a description that was hotly disputed by sibling, Philip Crosby who described Bing as a very caring father. So it's not surprising that you ask me the question.

I worked with Bing on six albums and two TV shows over a three year period, which meant that I spent a lot of time in his company. And I can only say he was continually friendly, humorous and wonderfully co-operative with all of his fellow workers. He was also one hell of a singer.
I'd say he had the best ear of any singer I've ever worked with. He could learn any song - no matter how complex -in five minutes and record it in ten.

So how can I sum up this man ? The easy-going persona that you see on screen was not an act, it was very much a part of the real man. But it wasn't ALL of the real man. He had his serious side. He was a shrewd businessman and a gifted sports entrepreneur in addition to being the most successful recording artist of the 20th century ( more hits than Presley and the Beatles combined ). But behind all this, I'd say he was a genuinely nice and considerate person. There was nothing of the grandstander about him. In short, Bing was one of the good guys.

I speak as I find.

Best
Ken
Jim Patterson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 3:53 pm    Post subject: Bing the man and the performer Reply with quote

It's good to hear Ken Barnes - someone who knew and worked with Bing Crosby - to give his personal opinion of the real man and the performer.

Over the years, Bing has had a bad deal as far as the press and the media are concerned. No one ever said a bad word about him while he was alive. It's tough to figure. I had the pleasure of meeting him briefly when he appeared at the London Palladium in 1976. I got his autograph at the stage door along with at least 50 or more others. He signed all of them before getting into his waiting limousine and said thanks and goodnight to everyone before driving away. That, I think is consistent with what Ken Barnes said.

Bing was indeed one of the good guys.

Jim Patterson.
Greg Van Beek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Kudos to Ken Reply with quote

Congratulations to Ken on this fine website and especially for this new forum devoted to the one and only Bing. Next to Jack Kapp, Ken did more for Bing's recording career than any other person, in my opinon. He's a true gentleman, and someone I'm proud to call my friend. Keep up the great work you do promoting Bing!
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Bing Crosby the man Reply with quote

Thanks, Greg.

Keep in touch

Best
Ken
Ron Field (Australia)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2004 7:31 pm    Post subject: Bing Crosby the man Reply with quote

At Hofstra University I presented a paper called 'BING CROSBY - THE MAN I KNEW'.
I 'found' Bing in Sydney in about 1944, so a fan for 60 years.
I travelled to Canada and the US in 1957. Bing was in Seattle in August 1957 and by chance I met him (just 5 days after arriving from Australia). His photo was in the Seattle paper. I found out where he was staying. I wrote a note and left it at the hotel. Later that night providence was very kind and I saw Bing go into a restaurant. I waited until he came out. I went up and introduced myself, the old ticker was going 60 to the dozen. As soon as I said who I was and from where Bing said 'yes I got your note'. We talked for a couple of minutes, he asked if I was going to Los Angeles and I said 'yes'. Bing then said - 'go see my brother'.
In 1966-67 I lived in London and spoke to Bing on the phone a couple of times. He answered the phone himself.
1975 Bing was in London and I left him some information about my Golf Club - Calcot Park at Reading and asked if he had time for some golf. I left info at the hotel about midday. About 3.15pm my phone at the office rang. I answered it and the voice at the other end said ...'this is Bing Crosby'. I nearly fell out of the chair.
Later that year Bing and the boys were at Turnberry for a Pro-Am. The Turnberry Hotel was part of the British Transport Hotels chain (British Rail). Once again I sent Bing a note and when I got to Turnberry and out on the golf course I introduced myself and he said that he had received my note. I walked around with him for about 12 holes and it was delightful. Coming down the 18th there was a big crowd and I said to Bing that I would leave and let the others enjoy seeing him. He said anytime Ron. I caddied for Nathaniel the next day.
I saw 2 concerts at the Palladium in 1976 and in 1977 attended both the opening and closing nights.
My response is a bit long, so I'm sorry but I justed wanted to expalin what Bing was like to me - a fan from Australia.
As I closed my presentation I concluded with that '...Bing was an ordinary man'
Joan Benson

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Bing the man Reply with quote

I'm very grateful to Ken Barnes and Ron Field for giving me their personal impressions of Bing Crosby the man.

I had the feeling that Bing's easy-going personality was a reflection of the real man. it's nice to have it confirmed by people who knew him and worked with him.

Thank you

Joan
James LM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bing Crosby was the only Hollywood Celebrity ever to visit Doncaster (I think). He went to the races at Doncaster in the late 60s or early 70s. I wonder if you accompanied him Ken, with your Yorkshire (Leeds) connection. My auntie had some super 8 film in her camera and took it along. If you end up making a doc for your proposed Riding High DVD and want some footage to link Bing's interest in horse racing let me know.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Bing Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I don't know if I'll be doing a DVD on "Riding High" - but there is certainly a DVD due from Paramount later this year in the USA.

Ken
Stan Wootton

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Bing as a man Reply with quote

Have only just seen Joan Bensons request for info on Bing as a person and Kens reply to her.
I am currently transferring a BBC set of programs broadcast in 1973 from audio tape onto CDs and in which Bing makes many personal comments regarding his own outlook on life.
Despite the book that Gary Crosby wrote describing Bing as a cruel father and the bad times he had with him, on one of the tapes (now on my disc), Gary clearly states how good his father was and how difficult it was for famous people like Bing to raise a family in those times.
His comments are completely full of praise for Bing as a father and a complete contradiction of his terms written in his book.
I can only agree in full with Kens description of Bing. After working with him for so many years, he was bound to find what type of person Bing was.
In copying these tapes, I have found there are compliments from over 150 people who either worked with him or were his personal friends. They all confirm the fact that Bing was a Real Good Guy.
My apolagies if length of reply is rather excessive But hope you may perhaps find it as a bit more of confirmation of Bing as a person.
The words spoken by Gary while his father was alive are far more accurate than those written after Bing had died.

Stan
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 3:36 pm    Post subject: The real Bing Crosby Reply with quote

In response to Stan Wooton's posting of 1.24 pm today, I can firstly point to my own liner notes in the book accompanying the 3-CD release SWINGIN' WITH BING which describes what a joy he was to work with and what a decent man he was. Secondly, I can relate a conversation I had with Gary Giddins, author of the excellent book, BING CROSBY - A POCKETFUL OF DREAM - The Early Years 1903 - 1940.( the first volume of a very detailed biography of which the second part is yet to be published ).
Mr. Giddins told me that he had interviewed Gary Crosby ( resulting in some nine hours of tape ) in which he quizzed him on all of the unsavory aspects on Bing which appeared in his book. Gary's answer - on almost every point - was "I don't remember saying that." From this, we must assume that Gary's book was edited and composed mainly by the book's publlishers whose main aim was to sell the book and make a profit.

Ask anyone who ever worked with Bing and they'll say the same thing that I always say. "Bing was one of the good guys."
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in San Francisco this past weekend to join investors and Crosby family and friends at the grand opening of "Bing Crosby's Restaurant and Piano Bar" - if the response to the music, films and images of Bing (mostly from the 30s and 40s, but later photos of his sports loves were included, too) are any indication, there's a LOT of pent-up curiosity about Bing - let's hope it continues and those in the 'know' feed the right information out to the hungry ones!

judy
ps - website is: www.bingcrosbysrestaurant.com
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 11:03 am    Post subject: BING CROSBY'S RESTAURANT Reply with quote

Thanks Judy for pointing to this plush new restaurant - which is no less than Bing deserves. How was the Bill of Fare? Tasty ? Expensive ?

It all sounds very classy and can only do good for Bing's image - which has needed a good boost for some time now. It would be nice if they could include some copies of SWINGIN' WITH BING on the premises.

Keep the faith

Best
Ken
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The food was quite tasty - the prices will be a little higher than I'm used to here in my town, but it's a swanky joint!

If I were you, I'd contact the management there - thus far, there was no 'gift shop', but I bet that's in the works! Music, shirts, keychains - all should be available for purchase - especially over the internet!

Jay is the name of the general manager there (I'd found a typo on the website and alerted him to it - he took care of it right away!) - you might want to contact him and see if you could arrange something! At least they could play the CDs while the live music was on hiatus!

judy
ps - there should be a story and photos in the Spring 2005 "Bing" magazine!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: