laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Billy Wilder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.B.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:37 pm    Post subject: Billy Wilder Reply with quote

I noticed on the website a few weeks ago some talk about doing a series of box set devoted to the great directors.
How about doing one on Billy Wilder ? "Sunset Boulevard" and "Some Like It Hot" aren't the only great films that Wilder made. What about a box set of his early works -
"The Major and the Minor" " 5 Graves To Cairo" "Double Indemnity" and "The Lost Weekend?"
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:38 pm    Post subject: Wilder box set Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

Sorry to take so long in getting back to you on this. Im trying to keep up with replies but I'm pretty busy this week.

Well, I did suggest a Billy Wilder box set to Universal and they didn't think it would have sufficient appeal. I found this rather strange considering the success on DVD of "Sunset Boulevard" and "Some Like It Hot."

The trouble is that most people in these positions are not movie buffs and they don't realise just how many enthusiasts are out there. All I can do is keep plugging away. A perfect Universal box set would be
The Major and the Minor (1941), Five Graves to Cairo (1943), Double Indemnity(1945) and The Lost Weekend(1945).
I'm sure that this would recoup its investment and make a nice little profit.

Perhaps with the unexpected success of the Fred and Ginger, they might see the light. Let's hope so.

Best
Ken
James L M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure there would be a heck of alot more people out there who would wish to buy a boxset of Billy Wilder films (no matter which ones) over an Astaire-Rogers boxset so with Fred and Ginger success I am sure you could win over more execs with other plans you have suggested. As we all know, hits of the day in most popular culture (which are originally helped out by marketing), do not stand the test of time and quality laboured work with real talent behind it does not become recognized until much later.

Of the films already in the Laureate collection, Citizen Cane, Man with the Golden Arm and Dead Zone interest me immensely, whereas the Road To.. films are of no interest to me (I did see alot of them as a child), nor really the Astaire-Rogers films (again I have seen them all), apart from the dancing obviously, they left no impression on me. Gold Diggers of 1933, Roxie Hart, One Upon a Honeymoon and Major and the Minor ere Rogers vehicles I would take interest in, although the only Astaire film that I really would care for is On the Beach. I'm not a big fan of musicals, the only MGM musical I really like (and I like it quite alot) is Lilli.
Jack Clowes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Marilyn Reply with quote

Yes Mark, I think we all know by now how much you hate Marilyn Monroe - you've told us several times. However I think Billy Wilder must have seen something in her having already worked with her on "The Seven Year Itch"
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2004 12:27 pm    Post subject: Marilyn Reply with quote

Dear Mark,
Jack is right - you have made your point that Marilyn Monroe is one of your pet hates. I don't suppose it would do any good to recommend that you investigate the Marilyn Monroe Diamond Collection ( a terrific 11-disc box set ) which Fox issued in this country a couple of years ago. Catch her performances in "Don't Bother To Knock" and "Bus Stop" - and you may revise your opinion. Also, I must admit I've always had a soft spot for singing - she had a good ear and was always dead in tune. Do give her a chance. The lady was unique.

I do, however, agree with you that the works of Fred and Ginger should not be trivialised. They hold their own - as do the "Road" pictures - in the pantheon of great Hollywood creations. The same, of course, goes for Billy Wilder and other fine works.

Ken
Mark Bakker

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:29 am    Post subject: Marilyn Monroe Reply with quote

Really Mark! Fancy you not liking Marilyn Monroe! You'll be telling us that you don't like Charlton Heston next!
I must agree with Ken that 'Bus Stop' is worth a look as well as 'Misfits' and the better known 'Gentlemen Prefer Blondes'.
One of Marilyn's first film appearances was in a Marx Brothers film 'Love Happy'. This was the Marx's last film and not very good. However Marilyn's scenes with Groucho are quite funny.
Incidentally Mark, on your recommendation i ordered 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' from Playusa.com. It arrived today and i couldn't be more pleased with it. Thanks for that.
Regards to all,
Mark Bakker
James L M

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the subject of a Billy Wilder box set, why not try and contact Cameron Crowe to see if he could throw his weight behind your propsals.

Surviving cast and crew members for:-

Major and the Minor

actors FRANKIE THOMAS, RAYMOND ROE, BILLY RAY and DICKIE JONES

Five Graves To Cairo

stuntman WALT LaRUE, sound recordist FERROL REDD maybe

Double Indemnity

sound recordist STANLEY COOLEY, dialogue director JACK GAGE, uncredited actresses TEALA LORING, MIRIAM FRANKLIN

Lost Weekend

actresses JANE WYMAN, DORIS DOWLING, JAYNE HAZARD and HELEN DICKSON uncredited actors EARLE HYMAN (famous for playing Bill Cosby's dad in The Cosby Show), KARL 'KARCHY' KOSICZKY AND THEODORA LYNCH, sound recordistS STANLEY COOLEY and JOEL MOSS

Possibilities for commentaries by original cast/crew on THE MAJOR AND THE MINOR and THE LOST WEEKEND but hardly the other two
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 7:18 am    Post subject: Billy Wilder suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks so much for your kind interest and diligent suggestions. Since the appointment of a certain person as Universal's Head of Marketing here in the UK, there is an amazing resistance to doing anything interesting on DVD. The production manager is equally disinterested.

I firmly believe they are hoping to receive the International Award for Apathy.

Your enthusiasm, however, is much appreciated by
Yours truly
Ken Barnes
James L M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Cox, singing his praise for Anchor Bay, who licensed his film Repo Man for a special edition with directors commentary and alot of assistance from Alex Cox, mentions on his website how somebody he spoke to at Universal admitted ('confided' to him) that they were not having much success with the sale of their back catalogue on DVD and were perplexed as to how companies such as Anchor Bay had such success. Alex Cox blamed their attitude to investing in enhancing their releases.

He cited that making the ridiculous assumption that people like him would be interested in recording commentaries for nothing, to benefit from the 'promotion' as though this would be on a par with somebody recording something for their recent work, was indicative of their attitude and failings.

Do you have any contact numbers / email addresses for these people at Universal. I am looking for work as it happens and would not mind attempting to infiltrate their 'production office' and enthuse somebody to try and recoup the money they are undoubtedly losing from record sales by investing in additional material, recording as many audio commentaries as possible, before these opportunities are lost forever, giving them a source of revenue for the long term and at the same providing a service in film historical recording. They probably would not go for it, but hearing it enough times with the threat of "I told you so" later on, they might eventually take note. I suppose all they want to see is an immediate return on the projects that make them look good. No forward vision

My email address is jamesmccabe9 at netscape.net
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 6:10 am    Post subject: Universal Special Editions Reply with quote

Thanks James for your interesting remarks. It's my belief that Universal
( unlike Warners, Fox,MGM and, for that matter,Anchor Bay ) are still living in the VHS era.

They have recently resisted any suggestions for special features, interviews and audio commentaries ( their second disc on "Young At Heart" is totally redundant. To call it a "50th Anniversary Edition" is a travesty. Everything could have been contained very easily on one disc.)
The current heads of marketing are not film enthusiasts, they do not appreciate that "extras" are a natural part of the DVD landscape. All they want to do is make an instant profit. Perhaps their jobs depend on it.

I think the best person for you - and everyone - to contact is Steve Beecham. Beecham,.steve@unistudios.com

Good luck

In my experience he is a reasonable man and you may well get an answer.
mgcroadster

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The current heads of marketing are not film enthusiasts, they do not appreciate that "extras" are a natural part of the DVD landscape. All they want to do is make an instant profit. Perhaps their jobs depend on it.

What an insightful thread; thank you for that Ken.

I think Universal's attitude extends over the pond as well; their classic western and film noir series DVDs are mostly extras free, and the transfers are very hit and miss. Fox and Warner lead the way in R1; will the others take note that they are selling DVDs of their back catalogue by the shed load?
Chris Bayles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Billy Wilder - Universal Reply with quote

A DVD box set of the early Paramount Billy Wilder would be a big hit with all film buffs. I certainly would buy it.

The interesting thing about Universal is that, as a major producer and distributor of films, they seldom cater for the serious collector. This may be the reason they fall behind Warner Brothers who are the world's most successful distributors of DVD. Indeed Warners seem to pay as much attention and respect to the classics as they do to the new pictures.

Here's hoping that one day soon, Universal - and Fox and Columbia and Paramount - will see the light.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox has already seen the light, at least in R1; their Studio Classics series is a thing of beauty. And devoid of extras they may be, but these days Paramount restorations and transfers are excellent; the rest (particularly Columbia and MGM) bring up the rear.
M. Holder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 8:15 am    Post subject: Billy Wilder Reply with quote

Just the thought of getting those early PParamount classics of Billy Wilder in one collection makes my mouth water. If you like, I'll place my order right now. And if there's any chance of a a good film noir collection like the one that Warners released recently on Region 1 ( especially with audio commentaries ), you can put me down for that too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: