laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seasons
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The same 'contractual' issues as in the past? ergh.

But I'm looking forward to the radio shows being released in a few weeks! Thanks again, Ken!

judy
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 6:31 pm    Post subject: SEASONS & SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Hi Judy, Good to hear from you. I still don't know what the problem is with "Seasons." But I know you'll enjoy "Swingin With Bing" issued on Shout Factory on August 24. The packaging is superb and it carries an elaborate 40-page booklet.

Best
Ken
Ken Winters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:41 am    Post subject: Seasons Album Reply with quote

I still have my original album of Seasons and have managed to keep it in good condition, but add my name to the list of those waiting for it to be released on CD. Also, I think release of the "Musical Autobiography" on CD is long overdue. It has been released in that format in Japan, but these are close to impossible to purchase in the U.S., except for an occasional E-bay listing.

Ken Barnes, thanks for special gift you gave the world when you worked so closely with Bing on his closing body of work. I'm 53 now, but I love all of Bing's music from every era. However, my wife and young adult children prefer the mature Bing of your albums with him, along with Feels Good, Feels Right & Bingo Viejo. Favorites are Bing, Live at the London Palladium and Seasons!

Thanks again.
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 9:16 am    Post subject: Bing - A Man For All Seasons. Reply with quote

My thanks to Ken Winters and Mark Fisk re. Bing.

Just about all of my latter stuff with Bing is available on CD - both here and in the USA. The most prominent being "The Complete United Artists Collection" - which covers every studio recording that Bing did for United Artists - plus some of the 'live' Palladium material and some interesting studio out-takes which are described as "Session Sound Bites."

Then, of course, there's the "50th Anniversary Concert at the London Palladium" with Rosemary Clooney, Joe Bushkin, et al. ( which earned a Gold disc first time around ). All of this is a pretty big chunk of work and the only material now missing from CD is "Seasons," for which we've had literally thousands of requests.

I know that Universal ( who now own Polydor ) are keen to issue it. The long delay may be due to the fact that the Crosby estate are currently in litigation with Universal over unpaid royalties. Although no one has yet confirmed this. Strangely enough, the title track of "Seasons" appears on a Universal compilation " Forever Bing." So go figure.

Next month - August 24th - sees the release in the USA of "Swingin' With Bing" - a 3-CD set that has taken over five years to produce ( because of artist clearances, etc. ). This is top-notch Bing from his record breaking radio shows of the 1940s. The material ranges from 1942 to 1953 and I think you'll be very impressed with it. It's a fairly pricey set ( $49.99 ) but the releasing company - Shout Factory ( distributed by Sony ) - have given it the bells-and-whistles treatment with superb packaging and a beautifully designed 40-page booklet. And with great guest stars like
The Andrews Sisters, Nat King Cole,The Mills Brothers, Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong plus many never-before-released performances of Bing at the very peak of his powers, I think it gives full value for money.

So this should hold everybody until "Seasons" finally makes it to CD.
As for "Bing-The Musical Autobiography," this is also owned by Universal and may be subject to the same legal obstacles. But I don't know for sure.

There is certainly lots of Bing films coming out on DVD in the USA this year. Just released is a DVD containing the two films he made with Jane Wyman " Here Comes The Groom" (1951) and "Just For You " (1952)

Later in the year, Paramount will also be releasing "Riding High" (1950) and - best of all - "The Country Girl" (1954) - his finest acting performance alongside Grace Kelly and William Holden.

But since we're talking of recordings rather than films, I should also mention that I'm associated with a new Sinatra 3-CD set "Frank Sinatra-The Platinum Collection" - an impressive overview of Frank's work on the Capitol label. This will be issued in the U.K. on August 17 - and will be TV-advertised. It's another goody.

And I thought I'd given up the music business.
Judy Schmid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give up the music business, Ken? NEVER! Wink

Any suggestions on how I might, in the States, order the Shout collection on Bing? Or would it be best to contact them? I've searched the Amazon and the Barnes/Noble (no relation to you, Ken?) websites - it doesn't appear to be listed yet..

Thanks - I was going to order myself a set - I deserve it!
Laughing

judy
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: SWINGIN' WITH BING Reply with quote

Thanks, Judy, for your support. " Swingin' With Bing" is not issued until August 24 - by which time it hsould be readily available either on-line or in stores. Shout Factory are a very assertive company, their product is distributed by Sony - so you can be sure that the product will be quite visible when it hits the market. They are very enthused over this release and I think you'll be impressed both by the packaging and the audio quality.

Keep well

Best
Ken
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Bing Crosby All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: