laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BATTLE OF BRITAIN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 5:34 pm    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

Last year ( February 2003 ), we had a message from Paul McMaster requesting a DVD of the 1970 film "The Battle of Britain" director: Guy Hamilton. Paul suggested this would make a great Laureate Special Edition DVD and we agreed with him. However, since we did not own the rights this was not possible.

Now, one year on, Paul has reason to celebrate. I just received word from
Joe Simpson, Vice President of MGM Home Entertainment (Europe) that a
full-scale Special Edition of "The Battle of Britain" loaded with extras ( including a separate audio track for the wonderful score by Sir William Walton) will be issued in the U.K. late May/early June.

I should stress that this is not a Laureate Presentation - but, if you're out there, Paul - I'm sure you will be glad to add this one to your collection.
So hats off to MGM.

Let's hear from you, Paul.

Ken
Richard Kelsey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

I recall visiting your website last year and noted Paul McMaster's interest in "The Battle of Britain." I don't know if Paul is a regular visitor anymore, but you can certainly count me in as a potential customer for the new DVD when it's released.

Also how about "Where Eagles Dare" ?
Richard Kelsey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 2:01 pm    Post subject: BATTLE OF BRITAIN - WHERE EAGLES DARE Reply with quote

Thanks Mark, for this welcome info. I must say the Laureate website is a real boon to movie buffs. I get more information on this site than I do from any of the film and video companies.

With both BATTLE OF BRITAIN and WHERE EAGLES DARE coming out at approximately the same time, I'm well satisfied.

Cheers
Richard
R. Mallard

PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 5:02 pm    Post subject: The Battle of Britain Reply with quote

After all the recent correspondence- for and against - "The Battle of Britain," I finally bought it and, while I agree that it's a superb DVD
( apart from the menu commands - which are not user friendly ), I don't think it's as good a film as it's cracked up to be. I found it very bitty and lacking in substance. The star names seemed to be there just to boost up the box office. None of the roles were fleshed out - and even Ian McShane's reaction to the death of his family in an air raid ( which should have carried real emotional force ) wasn't as involving as it could have been. Was this the fault of the actor or the director ? There was more emotion from the old man who said "They just bombed the Rose and Crown." But Olivier was very good as "Dowding" and the aerial scenes were terrific and wonderfully shot. But it just didn't carry the historical impact that I was hopng for. "The Longest Day," - which I also bought recently - was far better and really caught the importance and scale of the D-Day landings.

Does anyone agree with me ?
Ken Barnes
Host

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: The BATTLE OF BRITAIN Reply with quote

Thanks to R. Mallard for an interesting new slant on "The Battle of Britain."

In some ways I have to agree that this film does not deliver the emotional clout that one would have liked - nor are the crucial historical events particularly well documented. While it certainly lacks the detail and entertainment value of "The Longest Day" or the historical involvement of "Tora,Tora,Tora" ( the definitive account of Pearl Harbour), the DVD is still worth owning for the excellence of the aerial scenes, the terrific extras and for the restored music score by Sir William Walton. The quality of picture and audio is exemplary.

So I still say buy-buy-buy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Any Suggestions? All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: