laureatedvd.com Forum Index laureatedvd.com
The Way To Collect The Classics

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fred and Ginger at the National Film Theatre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dominic McHugh

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 5:29 pm    Post subject: Fred and Ginger at the National Film Theatre Reply with quote

I hope this doesn't seem irrelevant, but I can really recommend the National Film Theatre's current celebration of Fred and Ginger. I fulfilled my ambition to see 'Roberta' the other night, enjoying the 'I won't dance' and 'Smoke gets in your eyes' numbers in particular.

There are another three weeks of their films on, and the showing of the documentary 'Let's face the music and dance' coupled with Astaire's Parkinson show appearance should be a real treat.

Dominic
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Fed & Ginger/NFT Reply with quote

Thanks, Dominic.

I'm intending to get along to at least one of these evenings, but this is a very busy month for me - so it'll be a case of fingers crossed.

The Fred on Parkinson is a very good show ( as a matter of fact, I organised it for Parky ). It is,in fact, the longest interview that Fred ever did. He refused it three time but finally agreed to do it if Ava went on with him. Happily, she agreed.

Ken
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a copy of that Parkinson show on video, and enjoy it immensely. It's interesting to me that Astaire refused it so many times. I know that he had already submitted to interview shows with Cavett and Griffin before this. Was it because the 1975 Parkinson show took place around the time of his mother's passing?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ken Barnes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 9:19 am    Post subject: Astaire-Parkinson Reply with quote

Hi Ryan,

I don't think it was anything to do with his mother's passing. Word came of her death during the recording sessions and I offered to put a hold on the recording to allow him time to grieve. He thanked me for the gesture and said "Oh no. Let's get the job done."

Anyone who knew Fred will tell you that he hated to do interviews. He did relent from time to time. In the case of the Parkinson show, he finally agreed because he knew it would help the albums. As a matter of fact, Parky got greedy because he tried to get Bing and Fred on the SAME show. Both immediately refused. which was good for us because we got two separate and very good shows. In the case of Bing, we got the full Pete Moore orchestra. Fred was offered the same but he didn't want to make a big deal of it - because it would have involved extra rehearsa and sound-checks, etc. So he did it with just the small group.

Oh, by the way, Ryan; I now have a CD of Ava being interviewed. Could you please remind me again of your address ?

Regards
Kenl
Ryan

PostPosted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the response, Ken. Very interesting information. I've read several books about Fred Astaire, but it is always fascinating to hear something new. I have a cd reissue of "Crosby & Astaire" that I'm fond of, as well as an "Attitude Dancing" lp, so I'm very glad to learn your albums had the extra promotion. And thank you for the offer of the interview cd, it's very generous of you to send it.

Ryan Bottoms
7691 Georgian Bay Cir. # 206
Fort Myers, FL 33912 USA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    laureatedvd.com Forum Index -> Astaire and his films All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: